Protecting Your Business’ Digital Assets
According to the world-renowned Cisco Systems Inc., 60% of Canadian businesses don’t have a contingency plan in place for when – not if – a digital security breach occurs. Due to the rapid emergence of technology, the scope of a business’ data assets are hard to quantify, protect, and replace. Let’s take a quick look at three of the most telling key findings and how they relate to your commercial security system and security plan – chiefly in the form of accurate risk assessment, breach management, and remediation.
Key findings from Cisco’s report include:
- Canadian businesses with less than 100 employees are the most likely to not have a security strategy (26%).
This number seems deceivingly low. Consider that according to Statistics Canada 98.22 of all businesses in Canada have less than 100 employees. That’s 1,087,803 businesses nationwide. 260,000 Canadian businesses do not have a security strategy. As a Canadian security company (we’re in Edmonton) – we implore you to carefully consider this statistic.
- 1 in 5 (22%) of all Canadian businesses report they have experienced a threat, attack or breach in the last 12 months.
The problem is that their response is that it’s a response – a reactive method to cope with an attack, hack, or breach that will never occur the same way again. They’re already behind the 8-ball. Get ahead by being proactive – start today! We’ll tell you how.
- One in three (31%) of Canada’s largest companies are unsure whether their IT security strategy accounts for evolving data centre and IT consumption models.
Not good. Quick – do you even know where your data center is? This is a chain with any number of weak links.
Q: Do these statistics describe your business? What should you do?
A: Have a qualified consultant or firm perform an IT audit that focuses on the following areas of your data management. This person will:
- Define your assets
- Define your current threats
- Define your past due threats
- Prioritize your assets and threats
- Develop a response plan tailored specifically to your business that contains action items for the following:
- Network Access
- Intrusion Prevention
- Access Management
- Physical Intrusions and Damage
Don’t hesitate to give us a call for more information – your clients are depending on you to make sure that their data is safely guarded.